[thechat] What's in the wall ...

Quackamoe quackamoe at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 10:51:01 CDT 2001

--- "Luther, Ron" <Ron.Luther at compaq.com> wrote:
> Hi Terry,
>
> No offense, but I think I'd prefer the bat.
>
> Sounds like your mom was pretty calm about it.
> Where did you live?

This was in Twentynine Palms, CA. In the Mojave
Desert.
As for Mom, I've never been able to figure out why
she just set the brick on it instead of DROPPING the
brick on it! It was quite a young snake, no more than
a foot long.

> RonL.
>
> Former zoo-guy who worked with quite a few reptiles
> but never had any urge
> to play with the "hot" stuff.
>
> {A sidewinder is a pit viper (rattlesnake) found in
> the sandier [arid |
> desert] sections of the US Southwest - most common
> in Nevada I think , maybe
> Utah, Sonoran desert kind of places.

Mojave Desert definitely qualifies as arid.
Dry dry dry. Right Scott? I never knew they were pit
vipers though. Also recently found out that the
scorpions we have in the western Mojave don't really
have very toxic poison at all, but as you head east
toward the Colorado River and beyond they get more
dangerous.

> Named for their interesting, and
> relatively unique method of getting around - which
> leaves pretty distinctive tracks too!
>
> If I remember rightly, I don't think they were noted
> for having a
> particularly 'nice' or 'docile' disposition.}

They definitely have a reputation as nasty beasties.
I have no personal experience in this category.

<old joke>
Two guys are out in some wildernessy kinda place.
One guy needs to answer the call of nature - number 2.
While he's at it a sidewinder/diamondback/cottonmouth
comes up and bites him on the bum. He calls his buddy
and explains what happened. The buddy runs back to
the car / home / takes out his cellphone and gets in
touch with a doctor. Doctor tells him he has to make
small incisions on each bite mark and suck out the
blood in order to get the venom out.

The poor guy with the bite in his bum is glad to see
his buddy return / hang up the cellphone and says
"What did the doctor say?" The buddy says "The doctor
said 'You're gonna die!'"
</old joke>

Terry

Note: This is the PG-13 version of this joke. Those
of you who want the R version have probably already
figured it out. ;)