[thechat] No lies about the dead! (was: What about the economy?)

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sun Aug 19 13:10:29 CDT 2001

Ron White wrote on 19/8/01 3:29 pm

>Why bother with any reply? You have made your position clear and nothing
>anyone else says will change that. What doesn't change is the fact that
>anyone who goes someplace to "protest" knowing that there is a very high
>likelihood of serious violence, whether started by the cops or by thugs in
>the crowd, is still a lunatic.

And therefore deserve whatever they get, right?

Sounds like an excuse to give in to oppression to me, and failing
to stand up against oppression wouldn't have achieved any of
these:

The Berlin Wall coming down
Apartheid ending
Nazi Germany being defeated
Women's sufferage in most countries
The end of the Raj in India (perhaps the seminal non-violent protest)
The Polish Solidarity movement
The ending of the slave trade from Africa across the Atlantic

Actually, this last one is a very close parallel, as it was forces of
justice fighting economic arguments... and many of the issues being
protested about by the anti-globalisation protesters *are* issues
of slavery.

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland