[thechat] My manifesto: media-savvy, nonviolent, hyper-protest

Dave McLean thechat at dwcreative.com
Tue Aug 21 00:04:29 CDT 2001

On 8/20/01 15:46, Ron White wrote:

> I just became a dad and unless something is affecting my country, I ain't
> putting my life on the line...

But that's just it Ron... you have a line that you've drawn... yours happens
to be for your country.  I have a good suspicion that you are sane.  Now,
someone else might draw the line at say their global region (and its
socio-economic protection) and they are probably still sane. Then by the
same rational, people that are looking out for others in the world (more
than likely oppressed) are they too not sane?

You might be thinking: "Why would anybody care about other countries but
their own?"

Because some people think that valuing other human lives is the ...ahem...
humane thing to do.

<http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html>

Especially: Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in
barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent
of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief
and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration
of the common people