[thechat] Fear and Loathing...

judah at wiredotter.com judah at wiredotter.com
Fri Sep 7 18:13:18 CDT 2001

At 03:53 PM 9/7/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Arrogant Bastard, when it can be had, is the best there is. I prefer it to
>Guinness. Honest. (sure is nice to work 15 minutes from Stone's Brewery) If
>this is what wet socks taste like, count me in.

Wow.  I'm going to have to try it again.  I tried it awhile ago when it
first came out here (with a name and label like that, how couldn't I?).  I
was very disappointed.  I thought it was weak, watery, and uninspiring.  I
expected something more along the lines of the Rasputin from North Coast
brewing.  Now that beer will put the fear of god into you.

Along the lines of "beers that inspire religions", anyone who has a chance
should check out Adam by Hair of the Dog.  They are a small craft brewery
out of Portland, OR.  They do bottle, but aren't widely distributed.  I
haven't met many people who have a tolerance for much Adam, but those that
do (like myself) are devoted to it.  They only produce three (perhaps four
now) beers and none of them are timid or mellow.  They seem to delight in
producing aggressively distinctive beers rather than commercial successes.

Judah