[thechat] help! computer>receiver

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Mon Sep 10 11:49:12 CDT 2001

Jen Worden wrote:
> (figured this was enough OT to try thechat vs thelist)
>
> My son has a Dell computer with Creative SB Live!Value sound card - 5
> connections including a 3 prong plug (1 per speaker + subwoofer). With his
> hard earned summer job money he's just purchased 18' speakers (okay they
> just *look* like they're 18 feet ;) + receiver (Sony) that he's trying to
> connect to his computer.
>
> We can't seem to find anything that will change the 3-prong
> subwoofer/speaker connection into something useable for the receiver.
> Talked to Dell, they say it's Sony's problem. Tried to talk to Sony and
> they're unreachable.
>
> Anyone else done this? Do we need to change the card to the more standard 3
> outlet (rather than his current 5)? Any help would be most appreciated!
> (he's rec co-ordinator for his dorm house and is looking forward to pumping
> these babies!)

Err ... 5 connections seems like it would map to:
	Left front
	Right front
	Left rear
	Right rear
	Center
And 3 connections would be:
	Left
	Right
	Center

Can't you just use the Left Front, Right Front, and Rear - those would
be the common things to use. (Assuming I'm right).

Make sense? Or perhaps am I misunderstanding.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>