[thechat] Explosions in Kabul?

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Sep 11 18:44:57 CDT 2001

>I can't blame Ron for reaching the conclusion that they're
>celebrating the attacks. Even if that is what they're
>celebrating I don't feel that violent action upon
>civilians is the right response.

right.  Arab people have a lot of (IMO justified) anger against the
US government for its Middle Eastern policies... on many many levels.

That anger neither justifies these acts of violence, nor the
celebration of them.

I remember the words of a good friend of mine about 15 years ago.
Jamil was an immigrant from Jordan who was always there when I needed
a hand.  He said to me once, speaking of his home country (ruled then
by the moderate King Hussein),
  "you grow up over there, and you try so hard not to become part of
the insanity that is all around you."

We should all walk a mile in each other's moccasins.

Erika