[thechat] radio & TV

Bill Haenel bhaenel at twcny.rr.com
Wed Sep 12 16:58:21 CDT 2001

> "This American Life" rocks!
> http://www.thislife.org/

Yes it does.

> It is in times like these that you start to see what people (and
> networks) are made of.

It may interest you to know that on the public radio listserv, there has
been a bit of discussion among PBS and NPR broadcasters about their
disappointment in NPR's radio coverage of the current crisis. They feel the
commercial networks are staying more current, and getting "the good stuff".

I personally have only been in public broadcasting for a little less than a
year, and so I still remember what it was like to be a listener/viewer. I
appreciate the quieter, more responsible coverage, and yes, my three kids
also appreciate the non-departure from PBS regular programming. I understand
PBS TV stations will broadcast a report/discussion program this eve - AFTER
the kids are in bed. You know, good, solid ADULT time.

As web manager for a public radio site, I am faced with what feels like a
daunting responsibility to present non-sensationalistic, factual information
online that compliments our broadcast. As a result, our online coverage has
so far consisted of a few quiet links with one small image heading for NPR
and one other public radio-related news site, and then some locally-oriented
support stories and sites, mostly discussing who's available to help and
what churches/organizations are holding counseling sessions. I can feel good
about this. We're not avoiding the situation, but we're not exacerbating it,
either. We're just trying to help it in the best way we know how. I wish the
whole world worked this way. It's amazing what you can do with a
not-for-profit mission statement.

BH