[thechat] FW: Tribute to the USA

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Thu Sep 13 09:48:43 CDT 2001

Hi all,

I'm certainly not trying to "invalidate" anyone's feelings at the
moment.  (Especially if they happen to be anywhere near as confused and
contradictory as mine are this week!)

However, I have received this particular email with the Gordon Sinclair
quote several times over the last few years.  I had nearly come to view
it as an urban legend ...

Today I tracked it down a bit,(from
http://www.snopes2.com/quotes/sinclair.htm ).

Apparently it WAS written by noted Canadian journalist Gordon Sinclair.
However, it was written back on June 5th, 1973 and delivered on his
radio show [CFRB "Let's Be Personal"] out of Toronto.  This was a time
when the US was, (IMO pretty much deservedly), taking a lot of crap for
their foreign policy.

The original text of the script is available on the web site, as well as
a RealAudio recording, as well as [the late Mr.] Gordon's biography.

HTH,

RonL.