What do we do now? (was: RE: [thechat] Palestinians)

Bill Haenel bhaenel at twcny.rr.com
Thu Sep 13 10:20:28 CDT 2001

Okay, so I had a thought that made sense but had no substantive working
energy. That's alright, though, because now it's "out there".

We now have, especially here in the US, a greatly heightened awareness of
what's really going on out there. An awareness that maybe we could have had
before, but chose not to, since it is obviously far too horrific for anyone
to consider unless they absolutely must. Regardless, we're in the mud now,
we're dirty, we're hurt, and we're going to have to get up and do something,
lest we be stuck here for eternity.

I don't have any good ideas on what we could do with the net to further
efforts that may stifle worldwide terrorism, and it certainly sounds mad and
monumentally immense to even consider anyway, even as I write this. But I
can't stop saying to myself that I should do something with what I know.

So what do we do? Maybe nothing except to keep an open mind, and realize
that every step we take, every single action we participate in from now on
should be done with a different consideration: how can I change the world
right now? As you're working, think of how you might help on a much higher
level than you have before.

I'm not saying these things because I think we can change the world
overnight, but rather because I believe that we have built an incredible
machine that has been used to a fraction of it's potential until now, and we
should all understand what a great responsibility is on us to use it for the
greater good. Many of us have already considered this before, and that's
good, but let's use our group's unique strengths to really make a change
like we've never considered. We are the ones who have built the new media,
the new communication.

All I'm asking is that we all keep it in the back of our minds and consider
how we might work as a team, remembering that we are sitting on a great
opportunity in what we have constructed -- now more than ever after this
attack on THE WORLD.

Thanks to all of you for being out there, and especially for providing this
great environment for discussion on such a diverse, worldwide level.

Anyone who gets tired of hearing me go on, just say so, and I'll take it
somewhere else.

BH