[thechat] Re: What do we do now? (was: RE: Palestinians)

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Thu Sep 13 11:15:27 CDT 2001

Sean German wrote on 13/9/01 4:17 pm

>In my mind certain countries should be held
>responsible for aiding terrorists in the past,

Unfortunately, 'terrorist' is to a certain extent
a matter of perception when there's armed conflict
between a government and a non-governmental
group.

It's been (reasonably fairly) argued that both the US
and the UK have been terrorist states in recent
decades. And in some instances, those who have
resisted them could have been viewed as freedom
fighters - it's a matter of who you view as being
on your side.

(Note that I'm not talking about this weeks'
events).

Another example - Nelson Mandela was viewed by
some as a terrorist and others as a freedom fighter.

Che Guevara was also viewed in those ways.

Same with James Connolly.

>regardless of direct involvement in this week's
>attacks, but what if it was not any known country or
>group that carried out those attacks?

Or worse (and slightly improbably given the current
thinking) that all those directly culpable died in the
attacks.

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland