[thechat] Airlines

nate koechley nate at vicksburgcollective.com
Thu Sep 13 17:24:08 CDT 2001

i feel it's worth noting that this isn't about (or the fault of) corporate
profits and government regulation... in my opinion, it's counter-productive
to say that the corporations didn't do these things because of the bottom
line. It's much more likely, to me, that they did (or didn't) do these
things because there wasn't demand for them.

they will continue to make their standard profit margin (a hypothetical 10%
over costs). this will raise their costs, which will be passed on (to
either the direct customers, or to the taxpayer through gov't subsidy).

"security" comes at a price:
         are we willing to pay an extra $100 for the same flight?
         are we willing to inconvenienced with time and invasion of privacy?
         are we ready for out way of life to be changed, with Terror as the
catalyst?
         are we ready for Carnivore to be installed across the Internet?
         are we willing to see money diverted from education or the
environment back into Defense?

lots of questions these days, but please remember that they is also an
abundance of hope, of solidarity, of courage, of perseverance, of patriotism.

onelove,
.nek