[thechat] Re: What do we do now? (was: RE: Palestinians)

Bruce Heerssen bruce at heerssen.com
Fri Sep 14 14:05:42 CDT 2001

Bill Haenel wrote:

>> OK, what can we do?  I presume those reading this
>> theChat are not shooting at mosques or harassing
>> muslins (if you are, shame on you).  But we can make a
>> point to speak up when we witness such reactions.
>> Make a point to challenge anyone talking about 'all
>> arabs' or 'all muslims'.
>

> Or 'all Americans'.
>
> This type of attack must be designed to destroy from the inside out. We are
> on the inside. We can do more than just speaking up, I'm sure, although
> that's a great start.

There has been some speculation in this thread as to what the terrorists
have to gain from their action. I also have been pondering the same
question. There are some important facts to consider:

1. The terrorists were apparently islamic extremists: religious fanatics.
2. The U.S. has been labeled as "the Great Satan" by some few islamic
groups.
3. These people believe in the coming of Christ (not the second coming)

What does that lead me to think? That these people (the terrorists) did
not expect to get any worldly benifit from their actions at all. They
meant to start World War III. Armageddon. They are attempting to
precipitate, or at least hasten, the coming of Christ.

They believe they were striking against the Great Satan. They probably
firmly believe that they are Allah's warriors and that their actions
have ensured them a place in heaven. Not that it would have, but these
are fanatics after all, and their perception of reality is certainly to
be questioned. Nearly all of the worlds greatest tragedies have been
perpetrated in the name of God. This one is no exception. If there is a
hell (which I doubt), then certainly the terrorists will be surprised to
find themselves there.

So what do we do? We make very certain that no government in the world
is supporting fanatical organizations such as bin Laden's: that each
government actively and effectively dissuades such groups from operating
within their borders. I guess that means war. As much as I hate the
idea, war seems inevitable and perhaps even necessary. I am just sorry
for all of the injustices that war invariably brings. I fervently hope
those will not persist.

At the same time, and with equal determination, we must take steps to
guard against that kind attack in the future. I agree with Martin and
others on the list about this. I think that sealing off cockpits from
passenger areas on all planes (and perhaps trains and buses) is a good
start. Provide the pilots with their own sanitary facilities and their
own small kitchens or whatever they need. But passengers should never
again be able to reach the cockpit from inside the plane. I realize the
expense involved, but we must take this action at least.

-Bruce