[thechat] (Fwd) Re: [totc] Michael Moore's message

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 14 14:39:50 CDT 2001

not signed up on thechat.... probably a good thing...

From:           	"aardvark" <roselli at earthlink.net>
Date sent:      	Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:22:58 -0400
Subject:        	Re: [totc] Michael Moore's message

> From: Dave McLean <thechat at dwcreative.com>
>
> This is from Michael Moore's mailing list. For those of you
> unfamiliar with him, Mr. Moore is a producer and social critic
> originally from Michigan, famous for such works as "Roger & Me",
> "Canadian Bacon", "TV Nation" and most recently "The Awful Truth."

i got two things out of this:

- people who didn't vote for Bush didn't deserve to die...

- nobody is reponsible for this except for Americans -- although he
conveniently absolves himself as he goes...

as for his facts, i learned long ago that Micheal Moore is as much a
media manipulator as the very people he hates... perhaps moreso,
since
he tends to lie about it while on his high moral horse...

his movie "Roger & Me" is something he calls a documentary, but
it is far from true-to-life... he implies (or directly states)
cause-and- effect based on inverted timelines, false information, and
assumption... "TV Nation" was guilty of the same liberties with the
truth, and i haven't seen his latest, probably because i have toenails
to clip...

just like he claims nobody talked about the possibility of internal
terrorists - american citizens -- as a possibility... it was
discussed... i heard it, on every network i listened to...

his points about airport security are valid, and that's about it...
when it comes to security, anecdotal evidence of breaches *is*
evidence... they are paid too little... actually, the ones they use
shouldn't be hired, they should be using professionals -- who cost
more... offering higher wages to unqualified people doesn's suddenly
make them qualified, something Mr. Moore also glosses over all too
often...

i would, however, like to see some supporting documentation on
his assertion about the salaries of pilots... that's about 1/3 of
numbers i've heard from folks in the industry...

in fact:
http://www.avjobs.com/table/airsalry.htm
Major / National Airline Pilot: $23,000 - $140,000
Regional Airline Pilot: $16,500 - $43,000

http://www.aviationcareer.net/features/fa_09132000_06.cfm
"Entry-level pilots, according to the association [Air Line Pilots
Association], start at approximately $28,000 per year; and after 10
years of experience, a pilot might see six figures."

a bunch of other material suggests your first-year pilot won't be
flying your aircraft...  of course, none of this information has any
bearing on his overall argument...

Moore also asserts that bin Laden trained people from a tent in the
desert -- an ironic stereotype given his earlier preaching -- when we
all know damn well that's just silly... we also now know that they
were trained in schools in the US... probably because those
schools
don't turn away people just because they aren't caucasian males...

has the US trained terrorists in the past?  yes, we thought they
were
'freedom fighters' on too many occasions... was it wrong?  probably,
although it was always fueled by the best interests of this country --
which have included protection of the american people... like it or
not, that is the reasoning behind many of those decisions... our
mistake has been assuming that these people we train aren't evil...
perhaps we should only train caucasian males?

Michael Moore was long ago written off as a non-credible source...
his
opinions are so knee-jerk, in college we used to actually guess his
statements before he would make them... and no, it wasn't a bunch
of
right-wing hate-mongers doing it...