[thechat] Justice, was Chomsky, was Michael Moore's message

Bill Haenel bhaenel at twcny.rr.com
Mon Sep 17 13:41:16 CDT 2001

> I am an American.
>
> Aggressive US military action in Afghanistan is absolutely and
> completely unacceptable to me.

I am also an American, and I think I agree with you.

However, perhaps you should define "Aggressive US military action in
Afghanistan". I have heard it said in other circles that Afghanistan would
like bin Laden and his followers out, but perhaps cannot get him out. It may
take VERY aggressive efforts just to chase and find his "hole". How would
you propose we get him out?

A friend of mine who is a professor of criminology and sociology, when I
suggested to him that maybe we shouldn't blow anyone up, said that I should
put that question in front of the families and friends of those killed in
the WTC and Pentagon. I said that you wouldn't do this, any more than you
would put a rape/murder victim's family in the jury for the
rapist/murderer's trial.

He agreed, but said,

"Why do you insist on comparing this to criminal law and justice? This is
war. The rules are different. There are a number of reasons why civil and
military law are different.  In peace if someone fails to obey an order they
face administrative punishment.  In a war I can shoot them for the exact
same infraction.  I don't think that I need to discuss the difference in
killing the enemy.  Murder becomes duty etc...  life takes on a new
dimension."

We've done so many terrible things to each other. What will we do next, in
the name of God and Country?

BH