[thechat] What can WE do?

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 15:15:56 CDT 2001

> We can't bring back the 5,000 people who are gone.  But in choosing
> war, we can send more innocents to their graves.  We can magnify the
> destruction exponentially.

 From an anthropological point of view it has been interesting to see the
tone of this thread pretty much mirror my feelings about it. Starting with
disbelief, then anger, fright, shock, and them a kind of numbness because
events are spiralling out of control and I have no way of making my thoughts
heard. It does seem that most level headed people do not want war! Yes the
people who did this must be bought to justice, and if that takes an armed
response, then so be it. But the loss of innocent lives will make us as bad
as the terrorists, in fact, is that not what terrorism is, "I disagree with
you, so I will destroy you!"?
What I would like to ask the Chat is, what can we do to make our opinions
known? What are the options? Who do we phone/fax/e-mail? Does anyone have
any suggestions?
It seems to me that Bush is leading, and everyone else is following. Is
there an organisation in America that can voice our feelings that we don't
want war, but justice?

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk