[thechat] Justice, was Chomsky, was Michael Moore's message

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Tue Sep 18 15:07:48 CDT 2001

Bill Haenel wrote on 17/9/01 7:36 pm

>However, perhaps you should define "Aggressive US military action in
>Afghanistan". I have heard it said in other circles that Afghanistan would
>like bin Laden and his followers out, but perhaps cannot get him out.

And have internal politics to be worried about, as has Pakistan, whose
moderate government is risking a civil war to be of assistance.

>A friend of mine who is a professor of criminology and sociology, when I
>suggested to him that maybe we shouldn't blow anyone up, said that I should
>put that question in front of the families and friends of those killed in
>the WTC and Pentagon.

A number of whom have expressed the opinion that their loved ones
wouldn't have wanted others to be murdered over their lives.

>"Why do you insist on comparing this to criminal law and justice? This is
>war.

Interesting that there is no applicable law for a war against anything
but another country...

>The rules are different.

However, the US had just moved to a place which removed the global
sanction to extra-judicial murder (aka assassination). Let's not

>There are a number of reasons why civil and
>military law are different.  In peace if someone fails to obey an order they
>face administrative punishment.  In a war I can shoot them for the exact
>same infraction.  I don't think that I need to discuss the difference in
>killing the enemy.  Murder becomes duty etc...  life takes on a new
>dimension."

The worst thing is that this could be used as a justification for last
Tuesday's events. Just because the US public didn't see itself as being
at war doesn't mean that others saw it the same way.

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland