[thechat] "I guess we'll buy them"

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue Sep 18 15:41:09 CDT 2001

Martin wrote:
> >Certain pundits have suggested that the best way to defeat terrorism
> >in places like Afghanistan would be to help rebuild that broken-down
> >country, so that the support for terrorists is weakened.
>
> I saw a piece of commentary today which called for a Marshall Plan
> for Afghanistan - the soundbite was "Carpet bombing with food"

One of my favorite scenes in one of my favorite movies is in _Three
Kings_ where the Maj. Gates (G.Clooney) character and his team lacks a
vehicle, and needs a vehicle. He goes to a stash of cars guarded by
Iraqi Rebels - he tries to get the rebels fired up to let him use the
cars, appealing to their enthusiasm for overthrowing Saddam -- "Many
nations! Many races! We are united!" -- "George Bush wants YOU!" -- and
after rousing cheers, the lead rebel says "Cannot take" (Sorry, you
can't take the cars).

To which Gates says "I guess we'll buy them."

I've avoided most net discussion of the last week largely because it's
(no offense) been content-free, high noise, low signal. Brevity and
intellect are at a low point all over right now.

But it occurs to me that we should just buy Afghanistan, fuck it -
there's nothing to be gained from bombing (they're already in the stone
age) and nothing to be gained with a land invasion (Britain and the
USSR, resourceful countries in their times, have lost against irregular
armies in that nation).

Anyway, let's just buy Afghanistan.

I'll sleep better.

Above, "we" = USA.