[thechat] "I guess we'll buy them"

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue Sep 18 16:02:24 CDT 2001

Andrew Forsberg wrote:
> >  > Anyway, let's just buy Afghanistan.
> >
> >With a GDP per capita of US$800, it wouldn't take much....
>
> How would it work? I mean, three problems come to mind: 1) immediate
> and crippling inflation; 2) corruption and hording by officials /
> taliban; 3) sustainability problems compounding the inflation problem.

Treat it like a theme park. Guns and crime immediately outlawed. All
existing governmental authorities are dissolved and replaced with new
ones administered by the new nation.

I think the model to look to is Post WWII Japan. New constitution, new
laws. Lots of aid.

Goodness knows, I'm open to suggestions.

And no, we don't make them a state - that's a decades long process as I
understand it anyway. They become a protectorate.

Of course, it might further draw us into a world war.

Damn this is a hard problem.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>