[thechat] "moderate" Pakistani gov?

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Tue Sep 18 16:42:05 CDT 2001

At 5:27 PM -0400 9/18/01, you wrote:

>Martin,
>
>>And have internal politics to be worried about, as has Pakistan, whose
>>moderate government is risking a civil war to be of assistance.
>
>Since when is a military dictatorship, that came to power in a coup,
>considered "moderate"?

I think Martin was using moderate in the sense that they are not a
fundamentalist Muslim theocracy.

They are risking a civil war in helping the US (aka infidels) due to
the friction between the government and the religious fundamentalists
there.

Keeping that in mind though, even the Sudan (who has not had very
good relationships with the US recently) has come out supporting us -
as has Libya. I guess any country feeling that they might get caught
up in a war that they can't afford right now is making decisions
based on where they think they'll get the least trouble, and not the
most gain.

bob

--
bob davis