[thechat] "I guess we'll buy them"

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue Sep 18 18:26:43 CDT 2001

Erika Meyer wrote:
> >I just want to treat it like disneyland - a theme park with strict park
> >rules now allowing people to be assholes.
>
> Sort of like Singapore?

But without the death penalty.
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1.04/gibson.html?person=laurie_anderson&topic_set=wiredpeople

> >No smoking in the shops. No
> >standing up on the rides. No religious repression. No subjugation of the
> >female populace. No engaging in terrorist activities. No guns. No shirt,
> >no service
>
> It isn't clear from your responses to what extent this is a joke.

Does it matter? Could our current situation be more absurd than it is?

> >Stuff like that.
> >
> >And I'd say, as I sit in what was once Mexico, and part of the Spanish
> >Empire, I'm quite pleased that I'm on the /US/ side of the border.
>
> Since we're playing "what if" I'll take pre-colonized North America
> over the rule of any colonist nation-state.

When you get the time machine set up, gimme a call and I'll go with.
I'll bring the antibiotics and medical kits if you bring the towels and
footwear.

I'd hate to go back in time though - and mess up my lineage -- I'm a
product of a colonial past, what with spanish, scot, english, french,
yaqui (and who knows what else) blood in me. I'm an American Mutt, after
all.

Humans, can't live with them, can't live without them.

> >No chemical weapons on the teacups.
> >http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneylandresort/Disneyland/Lands/Attractions/index?id=1039
>
> This is your response to the discussion you previously criticized as
> being "content-free, high noise, low signal"?
>
> okay, then.

I never said I was going to /change/ the discussion from content free,
high noise, low signal. I'm just as flummoxed by all this shit as the
rest of you. Believe me, if I'd seen someone with some cogent realistic
analysis that's a win-win all around I'd be forwarding the FUCK out of
it. Spread the good memes, I'll say.

But there isn't any yet. Red cross donations maybe. Blood drives (have
you given yet?) Calls to prevent violence on Arab-Americans.

But for geopolitical solutions that everyone can live with, we have
NOTHING.

> What do you think about this constitution?
> http://kyrgyzstan.org/Law/constitution.htm
> The Kyrgyz Republic is near Afghanistan.
>
> I find Section 3 of Chapter 2 on the Citizen Rights and Duties interesting.
> http://kyrgyzstan.org/Law/constitution.htm#c2c
>
> Example:
>
> "Respect for old people and support for relatives is a sacred
> tradition of the people of Kyrgyzstan."

Cool.

I'll counter with the Japanese Constitution:
http://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/law/ja00000_.html

I'm not trying to anger anyone, just venting. Like EVERYONE else out
there.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>