[thechat] "I guess we'll buy them"

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Tue Sep 18 19:01:54 CDT 2001

> But it occurs to me that we should just buy Afghanistan, fuck it -

what about just getting everyone out of there? (although with their insane
migration levels, it looks as though they're doing it themselves already.)

the terrain sounds like it isn't worth trying to build on. it's mountainous,
suffers huge drought problems, and is absolutely covered in land mines.
there are few roads (especially free of mines). only real resources are
apparently gas fields in the north. there may be geological mines of some
sort scattered around, but the terrain is hardly conducive to exploiting
that.

the culture is also massively opposed to any attempts at modernising the
country. (such attempts were made in 1924). life expectancy is 34-41
(depending on who you believe). that's horrifying.

"This is the geographical picture of Afghanistan: Arduous to cross,
incapable of cultivation and mines impossible to exploit due to transport
costs."

any first step at fixing things would involve damming to assist in
cultivating land, and development of a road system to reduce the isolated
mentality of the tribes that is keeping the culture from evolving, mines
from being mined, etc.

isaac