[thechat] name of Operation Infinite Justice to be changed

Bill Haenel bhaenel at twcny.rr.com
Fri Sep 21 09:10:23 CDT 2001

> >> world: "either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."
> >> ---
> >>
> It makes it almost impossible, just as it attempts to make impossible any
> kind of debate
> of whether this is either humane or effective.

He did also say that it was not open for negotiation. This is just about the
biggest thing that bothered me. "Our way or the highway" is hardly a good
way to keep friends, and is certainly a good way to convince people that you
think  you're the only country on the planet.

> As a first and final ultimatum, it's backed the entire region
> into a corner
> I think, with war
> the only way out. Some might say that it's a perfect example of
> manufacturing a pretext for an invasion.

I agree, except that I actually believe that it's mostly talk. He's the
face, and his primary goal at this time is to personify the strength of our
nation, and be a cheerleader for his people. Last night was the pep rally.
They KNEW that EVERYONE would be watching. That's why he made a point to
draw attention to Tony Blair. Now "the whole world knows" that Tony Blair is
"on our side" in "everything" that Bush said last night. (True or not, this
is the idea that was supposed to come across, I'm sure.)

If you listen to the people who actually make policy and strategy in this
country, their story is much more controlled and careful. Rumsfeld made the
point yesterday that their objective will be to get the 'bad guys' without
harming innocents, that they (the good people of Afghanistan) should not be
punished for the acts of a few fanatics who happen to be living in their
country. The actual mission itself must be in keeping with what the rest of
the world will tolerate. We can't risk losing our friends, not the big ones
anyway. Even politicians aren't that stupid, I hope.

BH