[thechat] name of Operation Infinite Justice to be changed

Bill Haenel bhaenel at twcny.rr.com
Fri Sep 21 10:02:08 CDT 2001

> Of course, it depends on whose definition you use for 'states
> that harbour or support terrorists'. I'm sure that Bush's definition
> includes every Islamic state.
>
> I'm also sure that it's a strong message to his own populace too.
>
> Cheers
> Martin

I understand what you're trying to point out, but you do not know this to be
true, and he did not say this. In fact I do not recall ever hearing anyone
suggest that Bush (or his cabinet) thinks every Islamic state harbors
terrorists. Have you heard something that I have not? This is what I heard
him say last eve:

***************************
"The terrorists practice a fringe form of Islamic extremism that has been
rejected by Muslim scholars and the vast majority of Muslim clerics; a
fringe movement that perverts the peaceful teachings of Islam."

"The terrorists are traitors to their own faith, trying, in effect, to
hijack Islam itself. The enemy of America is not our many Muslim friends. It
is not our many Arab friends. Our enemy is a radical network of terrorists
and every government that supports them."

Although he does say "every government that supports them", and does not
specify who that might be, this was a fairly direct statement identifying
the "enemy", and not identifying every Islamic state.

I'm normally not one to defend GWB, but I did not interpret what he said to
mean every Islamic state was harboring terrorists, and I have not yet heard
anyone in the press or public say they interpreted it that way, so I imagine
it is somewhat safe to say that his "strong message" was not misunderstood
by "his own populace".

BH