[thechat] name of Operation Infinite Justice to be changed

spinhead evolt at spinhead.com
Fri Sep 21 15:38:58 CDT 2001

[based on human nature, not politics]

1. Humans love segregation. We like to be in groups, but we're also quick to
dislike the other group. True individuals (happy even when not surrounded by
peers) are rare indeed. True global citizens are almost as rare.
Polarization is a part of human history.

2. Human society is made up of three major segments - governments, religion,
and commerce. Any one can cause war. All three HAVE cause wars within our
lifetime. And ALL THREE are at stake in the recent events - if the current
official assumptions are correct, we have elements of religious difference,
political difference, and economic threat.

Listen to 1) the President 2) your neighbors 3) the guy on the next stool at
the local watering hole. They're screaming for blood, and firing up the US
war machine. Yes, it's being done subtly, and all the right spin is being
given, but the US wants a war badly, and Joe Average (folks on this list are
NOT average) wants to kill an enemy, so he's glad someone told him who it
is.

Your belief/fear/hope/desire that this will be a Falkland Islands romp puts
you in a small group of really smart folks who HAVE learned history's
lessons. Sadly, the populace at large will support a full-scale war, as long
as the media and the politicians tell them what a good thing it is.

Bill, if you think you'd like to have a real conversation about this, e-mail
me offline and I'll send you my toll-free number at home. I feel
passionately about these issues and can't always express what I mean
completely in writing when I'm sitting at work, worrying about deadlines.

By the way, perfect question. Succinct, meaningful.

joel