[thechat] US vs USSR etc.

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Sat Sep 22 16:20:16 CDT 2001

The main reason I am (and have been) more critical of US actions than
of USSR actions is that I am a US citizen, and the US always
differentiated itself from the USSR in by claiming that it was
"democratic" and that the USSR was not.  So as a US citizen, what I
think about my own governments actions and responses should matter.
I live here, not there.

(Also, USSR is no longer.)

There were civil conflicts that both nations manipulated for their
own selfish purposes.  Both nations used a lot of human beings as
expendable pawns in the game.

As a US citizen, I find that reprehensible.

The USSR and the USA were in fact two very similar countries.  Yes,
there were significant differences, but their world agendas were very
similar.  However, now the USSR is gone and the USA hasn't changed
much.

I feel a sense of responsibility toward my own country.  I'd like to
be proud of my country, instead of horrified at what they have done
in my name, and afraid of what they will do.  As a US and world
citizen, I just have to speak my mind when I see something terribly
wrong being done in my name.

Although I have to realize...

Erika

erika at seastorm.com