[thechat] What happens next?

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Sun Sep 23 07:15:57 CDT 2001

On 22 Sep 2001, at 11:31, Bill posted a message which said:

> > Bill Mahar is a jerk, but he was right. The terrorists in those planes
> > could see the faces of at least *some* of their victims, and they
> > willingly killed themselves. There are lots of words for that. Cowardly
> > isn't the one I would choose.

> So what did old BM say that got everyone so upset, anyway? I caught his show
> last night just in time to hear him apologize for being the same as he's
> always been or something like that. Unfortunately, I think I missed all of
> the action.

"We have been the cowards, lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles
away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building,
say what you want about it, it's not cowardly."

This was during a show in which a chair was left empty in honor of
Barbara Olson. Given the definition of cowardly *I* use - being scared
to death, but doing what needs to be done anyway - I'd think she
qualifies as courageous. She didn't know when she made the cell
phone call that the other planes had crashed; she thought she was
risking her life. And I suspect she died before the plane crashed,
because she alerted the other passengers to the facts. She's my
hero of the month.

Sears and FedEx pulled their advertising support from the "Politically
Incorrect" show because of Maher's statement.

deke