[thechat] Colin Powell rules out war..?

Jeremy Ashcraft ashcraft at 13monkeys.com
Mon Sep 24 10:42:01 CDT 2001

> "I don't think we should even consider a large-scale war at this point,"
> Mr Powell said on US television.

That's been the attitude of the US government this entire time, but the US
media has done a nice job of blowing things WAY out of proportion.  The local
Chicago news interviewed the Speaker of the House Dennis Hatsert(who is from
the chicago area) about what steps the US was taking.  He said (in as many
words)

"Carpet bombing and mindless assaults will not be effective in this campaign.
 The Soviets already tried that and look where it got them.  This will be
fought with human intelligence and special forces.  We are going after
terrorists, not innocent people."

Our government isn't stupid.  They know a "war" in the traditional sense
won't work in this situation.   They know if we go over there shooting cruise
missles at everything, then bin Laden will have succeded in creating an Islam
vs the West confict.    People need to start realizing our elected officials
are VERY intelligent(although some don't appear to be *cough* bush *cough*)
and will handle this in the most appropriate manner.  The use of the word
"war" to describe this, in my opinion, is wrong.  We need to not listen to
the stick rattling and the drum banging of the media and our peers.  I trust
my country to do the right thing and i think it is.

my $0.02

jeremy