[thechat] Colin Powell rules out war..?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Mon Sep 24 11:53:29 CDT 2001

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks! ... I've been waiting for an opportunity to chime in on this.

I agree with your observation ... however ... I think I come to a
completely different conclusion!

I'm actually very very pleased and impressed with Dubya lately.  (And
... [trust me here] ... that's really NOT an easy thing for me to say.)

I'm actually very relieved to find that we have a US President at the
moment who actually LISTENS to the advice of his ... well ... his
advisors.

We've had more learned and more intelligent US Presidents ... Yep, we
have ... and look where they got us.

I actually think Dubya is the right guy at the right time for this kind
of situation ... I think he has shown that his heart is bigger than his
ego - and I, for one, appreciate that a LOT ... I can think of several
past Presidents who (IMO) would have ignored their advisors in a furvor
to lob some missiles quickly and get that nice press coverage as an
"action" President and guarantee re-election.

Maybe George isn't "smart" enough to worry about how he's gonna look in
the history books.  He honestly seems to be concerned with the moment
and with 'to the best of his ability' doing the 'right' thing.  I find
that incredibly refreshing ... and something I can support.

[Don't ask me about his energy/ecology {what's that?} policies.]

I hope he continues to display that patience and that ability to listen
to the professionals around him.

My 2¢,

RonL.