[thechat] the internet war?

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Mon Sep 24 22:31:53 CDT 2001

I heard someone talking about the possibility of this imminent conflict
being "the internet war". They suggested that Vietnam was "the TV war", with
citizens of the world being hit with all kinds of graphic footage.

The internet war looked possible after September 11. It was far easier to
find updated information on the net than it was on TV. The Web had stories
from survivors and pictures from fleeing civilians long before TV networks.
I saw more interesting photographs, maps, and diagrams on the net than TV
could provide.

But I don't see it going much further.

Who in Afghanistan risks owning a camera to take firsthand photos of
conflict when it occurs? And who would have a net connection to upload
stories or images?

While in the US incident(s), civilians were armed with camera gear and able
to upload their experiences, surely the only people with this capability in
the Afghanistan area will be hardened, mainstream journalists daring to
remain in Pakistan?

Will the role of the internet be for commentary, or pointers to news
stories, rather than amateur journalists providing fresh imagery, and
firsthand experiences?

Thoughts?

isaac