[thechat] Re: How do Americans feel about their wars

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Sep 25 11:38:02 CDT 2001

Many of the long-haired homeless guys standing on street corners are
Vietnam vets.

I know this guy in Arcata, we call him Rasta John... he'd let his
hair grow out in one big ol dreadlock and then cut it once in the
spring.  He's an alcoholic and I worked in a brewery, so we were
pals.  He liked our porter.

Sometimes we'd hang out and talk.

He'd spent a good deal of time in Vietnam... I believe he was a
Marine. He doesn't go into detail about his experiences.  To him,
mainstream culture is "Babylon."  He does go on about how the
government and hospitals and all the institutions are out to destroy
us...

His health is poor, he treats himself with herbs, and he usually
sleeps outside.

Most of the time he greets me like this, "Hello Erika!  It's a
beautiful day!  Positive!"

Erika