[thechat] Just stirring the turd...

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Wed Sep 26 12:25:41 CDT 2001

Seth wrote:

>Not sure if you're aware that the term "crusade" was used
>inavertently or not.  When he used it, Dubyah had no clue of the
>negative connotations and the historical significance of the word.
>Since then he has had to do some major backpedaling to clear up the
>misunderstanding.

Crusade does not have a negative connotation for many Christians.
Church groups use it a lot for their various youth groups...
especially evangelical Christians.

I doubt the people using this word know much of the blood & guts
historical context....  or maybe they do.

>For the record, Dubyah is now holding daily "watch-word" meetings
>with his advisors.. :)

The thing is, I kind of think he means his references exactly as they sound.

"smoke them out" -- that's what they do with rattlesnakes in Texas
(actually, I guess now they kill them with gasoline) previously in
order to eradicate the native wildlife... I guess now it's simply for
amusement...
http://eagle.cc.ukans.edu/~cnaar/khs/pospaper.html

"dead or alive" -- vigilante justice.   To hell with due process.

Fortunately, wiser people are holding Dubya's reins.
*crosses fingers*

Erika