[thechat] the internet war?

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Wed Sep 26 19:22:32 CDT 2001

> it's not really necessary for someone to fly over
> there, just listen to the voices coming from there.
> did anybody read the email from the afghan women's
> group pleading for peace?  i'm sure there's loads more

RAWA? Yes, I've been aware of that site for months before 11/9/2001.

Unfortunately, I'm not so sure there are "loads more like that out there".

> like that out there, we just need to turn off CNN for
> a while and try listening to something else.  just

We don't get CNN.

I find that, in Australia, SBS and ABC news provide an effective and
impartial perspective on incidents. I also watch German news feeds (not that
I can understand most of it, but you can get a feeling of their views) some
mornings.

> like during the kosova war, we don't need to sent
> reporters there, all the real news came from people
> inside.

30% of the people inside have left the country in recent times.

There is an expected flood of many more (analysts are suggesting the
greatest humanitarian issue in 50 years).

Those who are left are starving to death, fighting, begging, prostituting
themselves to feed their children. The vast majority of women are illiterate
due to a lack of legal education.

It is illegal for the remainder to possess photographic equipment.
Punishments are incredibly harsh.

Even mainstream media and analysts are suggesting that most incidents will
not be captured on film. When you're an elite task force given a special
operation, do you drag a goofy journalist along with you?

We might get something on the net, but I'm not expecting guerilla
journalists to play a role in anything other than spreading links, etc.

isaac