[thechat] Grrr useless @ counterstrike

Norman Beresford n.beresford at anansi.co.uk
Sun Sep 30 07:19:23 CDT 2001

> Any tips for a useful beginner weapon combo? When the game starts it
> seems I'm the only freak wandering around with a pistol ... but
> there's nothing else for less than $800??? I'm slightly overwhelmed
> by the number of different weapons 'on the market' -- the rifles look
> neat, but bugger awkward.

In the first round when you've only got $800 you'll notice that everyone
buys the Desert Eagle (or Deagle in common parlance).  This is a good
weapon, as it'll take down an opponent with 2 or 3 shots.  However it's got
a small ammo load, so if you blaze away you'll get no where with it.
Sometimes if I start as a cts I'll buy basic armour rather then a deagle, as
I like the USP.  Don't bother with any of the other pistols.

The classic all round tool is the MP5.  It's accurate, carries lots of ammo
and has stopping power.  Once again I wouldn't bother with any of the
others, bar maybe the P90 - as it's got a load of ammo and you can go radio
rental with it.

Rifles - the only sniper rifle worth bothering with is the AWP/AWM.  Used to
be absolutely leathal, but now you don't have the certainity of the one shot
kill.  As far as the automatic rifles go, you'll find ppl split evenly
between the Colt and the AK.  AK is great at point blank, and at range with
burst shots.  The Colt is an excellent all rounder.  Always have the
silencer on, as it appears to keep the grouping closer, and doesn't cut down
on stopping power much.

Most weapons in the game are exotics, which aren't really worth bothering
with unless you want to piss about.  The classic for this is the Scout,
which is an increadably feeble weapon but using it marks you out as
something special.  Shotguns are good if you like bouncing about like a
kangaroo as they're so inaccurate the movement doesn't matter.  The para is
good if you don't like moving very much or reloading.

> Crappy trident XPm - 16mb: rubbish Yamaha drivers, poor frame rates,
> non-existent OpenGL drivers, absolutely shocking Direct 3d drivers
> (let's leave it at: 1 frame every 3 seconds, sprites disappearing,
> walls transparent)... Grrr. Still, I think the gameplay problems are
> squarely in my court, not the machines.

Find some OpenGL drivers.  It's not worth playing in D3D.  And you'll find
that your screen resolution/frame rate makes a massive difference to your
game (on par with ping).

> Some of them are *really* freaky! Like that weirdo oil rig thing.
> Everyone else seems to be busy doing something, and the only useful
> thing I seem to be able to do is sit on a tall object and take pot
> shots. Like you say, practise...

I love Oilrig, and all of the AS maps.  Having said that most ppl hate them
and they'll probably be dropped soon enough the way the ES maps were.
Oilrig is easy to play as a TS and it sounds like you've worked out how to
do it.  Harder as a CTS.  Bascially stick with the VIP and do everything you
can to help him avoid being killed.

> Luckily the major NZ ADSL provider (well, the only one for the moment
> -- that's another story) provides a gaming context -- a partial
> debian mirror + games / mods archive + halflife / quake / U.T. /
> something else servers. And there's no traffic charge, so that's all
> got to be good. Pinging at between 60 and 90 ms. Classy.

60-90 is good.  Playing on BY I get a ping of about 40 with my ADSL, and
about 20 with my Cable Modem.

> Unfortunately this comes with a high proportion of aggressive,
> homophobic, barely pubescent, flavour of player with attitudinal
> problems and attention deficit disorders -- all of which can make
> chatting a bit depressing. Perhaps the grown ups come out during the
> week when they should be working.

Try and find servers with decent admins on.  They can make a server a good
place to play.

> BY/WP? Sorry, what's that?

Blueyonder - Major UK ISP
WirePlay - Major UK GSP which just went bankrupt and had a load of their
staff poached by BY.

>When I've worked out how to not kill team
> mates so frequently I might keep a nick for a while -- it puts a bit
> of a dampener on chatting when  you've recently blown them to bits

Shame you're in NZ as the pings down to you are going to be appalling.
After the second Lion's test I went to a few aussie servers and couldn't get
a sub-400 ping to them :(

Anyway good luck with CS.  Just keep on practising

Norman