[thechat] Win2k DNS problem(s) 911

Hugh Blair hblair at hotfootmail.com
Tue Oct 2 08:39:12 CDT 2001

Hi Folks,

I'm hurtin' here.  My Win2k computer will no longer find
any web address without the explicit IP - no name lookup.
I'm looking for anyone that can help - or point me to
somewhere to find that help.

This system -was- working until yesterday when I 'updated'
some system settings (from Microsoft) that were (supposedly)
OS hot patches/updates.  After one reboot, all DNS lookups
died.  I can get to any site if I have the IP.  MSN messenger
works - AOL's Instant messenger works - and my email started
working after I put in the IP of my POP servers, replacing
their URL name (i.e. 123.23.23.23 instead of mail.name.com)

System: Laptop/Win2k Professional, LAN connection through
a Linksys switch through a Linksys router to a cable modem
connected to Excite at home.

On a Win98 computer, under TCP/IP Properties, the Tab for
DNS Configuration has these setting - which work:
DNS Search Order = 24.2.192.34
Domain Suffix Search Order = mntp1.il.home.com

On the Win2k computer, I've tried putting these values
in several places associated with DNS settings for TCP/IP
and just haven't had any luck.  I think I've tried all
possible combinations I can find - no luck.

I'd be more than willing to pay some compensation for help
that would get this running.  I've already invested 20+hrs
and just have run out of options.

911

-Hugh
hblair at hotfootmail.com