[thechat] Server software

Olly Hodgson gnarly at punkass.com
Tue Oct 2 15:53:33 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Stevens" <kjs at ratking.co.uk>
Subject: [thechat] Server software

>             Anyway, what I now want to do is this: keep my old computer
and
> use it as a server on a network. All I want to run on it is the O/S
(either
> Win ME or NT4), Zone Alarm and an anti virus program. This will also be
> constantly connected to the Internet with a 56k modem so that both me and
my
> wife can surf at the same time on our machines if need be. What I need is
> some software that will allow us to do that. But, because we only have 2
> monitors between 3 machines, I want to see any alerts from Zone Alarm or
the
> anti virus program on one of the puters with a monitor. Is this possible,
> and can anyone recommend such a program?

Hold up there. ZoneAlarm doesnt allow internet connection sharing AFAIK -
you'll be needing ZoneAlarm Pro. WinME has internet connection sharing built
in, although its not great for networking.

No idea how you would get

I did see a program that retargetted an Amiga's video output into a PC
window, and shared the kbd, mouse, etc called the Siamese system. Siamese's
site has died AFAICT, but there is a support site at
http://www.dynamix.force9.co.uk/siamese/main.htm. I'm not sure if a similar
system exists for PC-PC communication.

HTH,

Olly