[thechat] Car Value Question?

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Tue Oct 2 19:41:45 CDT 2001

On 2 Oct 2001, at 10:57, Luther, Ron posted a message which said:

> My soon-to-be son-in-law is thinking about selling his "project car" - a
> '63 Ford Thunderbird.  (It was a gift from his grandmother - so he only
> has 'time and materials' invested in it.)
> Any guess as to what he should ask for it?

Kruse has a big auction of classic cars every labor day in Auburn Indiana
- home of the Auburn/Cord/Deusenberg Museum. Maybe these prices
will give him an idea of what it would be worth when restored, then you
deduct the cost of doing the restoration, and you get a ballpark figure
of what you can hope for.

OTOH, as cartoonist Virgil I Partch phrased it, "hope springs eternal in
an idiot"  Maybe he can find someone who will fall in love with the car's
potential, rather than be dismayed by its present condition.

deke

FORD 1961 THUNDERBIRD
TWO DOOR V-8, BLACK EXTERIOR, BLACK INTERIOR - TRI POWER
REBUILT MOTOR, NEW TRANSMISSION, NEW TIRES, RECENT PAINT,
RUNS GREAT, LOOKS GOOD, ORIGINALLY FROM ARIZONA, NEVER
SEEN WINTER.  SOLD FOR $2,200.00   CONDITION: 86

FORD 1960 THUNDERBIRD
COUPE V-8, RED EXTERIOR, RED INTERIOR - THIS 1960 FORD
THUNDERBIRD IS AN OUTSTANDING EXAMPLE OF FORD'S
SQUARE BIRD AND MARKED THE FINAL YEAR FOR THIS STYLING.
THIS CAR FEATURES AN INTERCEPTOR SPECIAL ENGINE WITH
352 CUBIC INCHES PRODUCING 300 HORSEPOWER. THIS WELL
EQUIPPED CAR FEATURES AIR CONDITIONING.
SOLD FOR $8,750.00   CONDITION: 86

FORD 1964 THUNDERBIRD
TWO DOOR HARDTOP V-8, WHITE EXTERIOR, TURQUOISE INTERIOR
- THIS IS ONE OF THE NICEST 64 THUNDERBIRDS YOU WILL FIND.
DRIVES EXCELLENT, SWING AWAY STEERING WHEEL. AM/FM
CASSETTE, BUCKET SEATS, DUAL EXHAUST, MANUALS, MATCHING
NUMBERS, PB, PS, PW, VINYL TOP.
FINAL BID: $7,200.00   CONDITION: 83