[thechat] Security Systems Standards and Certification Act (SSSCA)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Fri Oct 5 17:07:26 CDT 2001

I suppose the American folks among us have already heard of this:

If you haven't, I quote:

"The Security Systems Standards and Certification Act (SSSCA), scheduled to
be introduced by Hollings, backs up this requirement with teeth: It would
be a civil offense to create or sell any kind of computer equipment that
"does not include and utilize certified security technologies" approved by
the federal government.

It also creates new federal felonies, punishable by five years in prison
and fines of up to $500,000. Anyone who distributes copyrighted material
with "security measures" disabled or has a network-attached computer that
disables copy protection is covered."

This is absolutely insane! Hollywood is now going to dictate technology. If
that's not scary, I don't know what is. I hope the US Congress has the good
sense to defeat this lest it become a law and (hopefully) get thrown by the
courts.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon