[thechat] Star Trek Enterprise

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Wed Oct 10 10:50:24 CDT 2001

At 10:38 AM 10/10/2001, you wrote:
>At 8:29 PM +0530 10/10/01, you wrote:
>

>>I chuckled when I saw the photo of an F14 taking off from an aircraft
>>carrier called... The USS Enterprise!
>
>Just so you know...there have been American warships called "Enterprise"
>ever since there was a US Navy. Enterprise in the show is one of the long
>line of ships called Enterprise. Another name they have in the show is
>Repulse (a name with a long tradition in the British Navy).

Actually, that's always been an off-and-on theme throughout the
series.  The intro to Enterprise (which has sparked considerable debate on
/. but that's another story) kind of gives a brief history of Terran
exploration starting with the old ships of exploration.

In Captain Archer's ready room, he has artwork of previous Enterprises.  I
recognize the old sailing ship, the aircraft carrier and the space shuttle.

And, if I remember right, didn't they have something similar to that in the
first Star Trek movie?

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly
while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato
"There is so much to be said in favor of modern journalism.
By giving us the opinions of the uneducated it keeps us in
touch with ignorance of the community." - Oscar Wilde