[thechat] FW: Protesters

iris laren4 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 11:09:55 CDT 2001

<not a flame and not a personal attack on anyone, just
real fear speaking>

i know you meant this as a joke but doesn't anybody
see the similarities to historic events here?  this is
exactly what's happening already.  people who dare to
speak out against war are being threatened and
silenced...

this whole thing has me extremely worried.  months
after the wall came down in berlin i left germany
because the newly rising patriotism and nationalism
made me really uncomfortable, now i wish i wasn't
living in britain, brothers with america, which is
displaying a scary amount of jingoism at the moment...

i've been trying to keep my mouth shut so far, because
i really think there's little i can do to change
people's minds until the adrenalin flood has subsided.
 but now there's war and that's unlikely to happen.
as a person who believes in civil liberties and free
speech and as a german who has gone through years of
de-nazification in school and who's been watching the
growing police state measures in britain, i am dead
scared right now.

can't anybody see that history is repeating itself?
isn't anybody worried that we aren't scared of war at
all?  or do you really have to experience it on your
own soil in recent history to be afraid of it.  people
as individuals are sane, people as masses are
extremely dangerous.

iris

=====