[thechat] FW: Protesters

iris laren4 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 16:37:45 CDT 2001

--- Erika Meyer <emeyer at lclark.edu> wrote:
> My daughter belongs to an Indigenous tribe that was
> reduced by 2/3 to
> 3/4 in a period of 50-60 years.  Much of the death
> was
> disease-related, but there were plenty of
> mass-murders, rapes (used
> as a weapon including against children), kidnappings

yes, the old conquistadores regarded the penis as
god's sword of justice.

at this point, and in the context of the taliban- and
american-bashing that's going on, we should remind
ourselves that every nation has blood on its hands. as
a species we're quiet despicable.

but at the same time we have evolved to a point where
we have developed extremely high ethics.  we simply
cannot justify our selfish, greedy and aggressive
behavior anymore.  and i'm taking as much about the 3
guys that mugged my friend last week as i'm talking
about the homeless problem, the third world debt or
the war for 'enduring freedom', which is just a
rats-in-the-cage-syndrome fight for control over
resouces.

so... will we impoverish or wipe out a large
percentage of the world's population so that some of
us can have more... or will our high ethics finally
make us better people?

i'm a pessimist with a negative view of humankind, but
that won't shut me up.

"Be the change that you want to see in the world."
(M. K. Gandhi)

iris

=====