[thechat] Why strong leadership sucks

Emily Christensen em at members.evolt.org
Thu Oct 11 07:49:33 CDT 2001

From: <martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com>

> I think most of the stupid stuff is just a case of not thinking it
> through carefully enough - that's the problem with broadly
> drawn legislation. Hopefully the scrutiny will spark off a bunch
> of "Oh, hadn't thought of that" type thoughts in the executive.

Agreed -- rush-job legislation tends to create problems.

> Democracy and collective decisionmaking: Good Things,
> especially when a crisis encourages over-reaction and
> fuzzy thinking.

True. I'm concerned about the potential abridgement of civil liberties, but
frankly I'm not *that* concerned. We do have judicial review here, and
unconstitutional laws are routinely thrown out by the courts. People
(including me) bitch about SCOTUS, but generally I think they routinely make
the right calls on matters of civil liberties.

Emily