[thechat] Krazy Kat (was -- some other thread)

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Thu Oct 11 08:00:50 CDT 2001

Hi Joe,

Absolutely!  As a "wee one" I used to enjoy Krazy Kat - the cartoon.
Eventually I learned there had been a comic strip ... so I took a brief
look at it and found it 'different' and 'interesting' ... but I was
probably too young to really 'get it'.

A while back I read where Bill Watterson (Calvin & Hobbes) said he was
very much influenced by the old George Herriman Krazy Kat strips ... and
by the days when a single Krazy Kat cartoon would fill an entire page in
the newspaper.  {Whoa!  Imagine giving Watterson an entire page to work
with today - instead of a measly couple of inches!}

So I HAD to check into that again.  Wow! Simply Fabulous stuff!!

A few links (for folks not hip to Ignatz as "L'il Angel"):
http://www.gographics.com/funnies/kkarchive2.asp?Newdate=1

http://www.krazy.com/toc.htm

http://www.iath.virginia.edu/crocker/

http://retrograde.net/kat/

and one in color, (which is when they really shine as art!)
http://www.angelfire.com/id/tommyrokne/abrick.html

"Experimentation" certainly covers it!  George went from (too many
words)  http://www.iath.virginia.edu/crocker/170211.gif

To (no words at all) http://retrograde.net/kat/welcome.jpeg

Ron
(Who's occasionally thought about retiring to Coconino county!)