[thechat] lawrence, orwell, carrots, charity.

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Thu Oct 11 18:21:38 CDT 2001

Erika Meyer wrote:
> Carrot & stick thing.  Wanting to make people behave as you think
> they should via combo of force & charity.

In Lawrence of Arabia Lawrence chides the new arab council to not take
anything from the Brits -- "If you accept British generators you accept
British government!!!"

And I recall in Orwell's "Down and Out in Paris & London" him talking
about the dregs of society *hating* the religious charities because they
inflicted their teachings at you - for the payoff, it was not worth the
hassle. (Was that Orwell?)

All human endeavors seem to have a certain amount of abuse,
mismanagement, waste, and there *are* malingerers in the human
population who need to be watched. Thus the problem - to have an
effective welfare statement you must be efficient, thrifty, generous,
and compassionate.

How hard is *that* as a spec for a human institution?

> Drop bombs and a bit of food.  So you can point to the food and say, "see?"
>
> >But here's the real question: Did you laugh at the idea of being Patchoulied
> >into Submission?
>
> I did.

*chuckle*

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>

(i suddenly want to listen to "the humpty dance" - it would lighten my
day)