[thechat] Re: thechat digest, Vol 1 #183 - 15 msgs

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Oct 15 03:28:55 CDT 2001

At 04:33 AM 10/15/2001, you wrote:
>I thought that just buying a Mac outside of North America automatically
>qualified you as a hardcore user because of how much they cost.  ;-)

Indeed. Here in India, they're so rare that most Indian web sites don't
bother to check how a site looks on a Mac. Mostly advertising agencies that
use them. The reason? Extremely high cost in a very price-sensitive market
(many people have to save for a year or two before they can afford a
computer). Also, the original reason for the Apple's low market share still
holds: PC spare parts are a commodity. If your motherboard fails, for
example, you can buy one from another manufacturer. With Apple, not only do
you have to buy from them, but it costs about 5 times as much as a PC
motherboard.

And lastly, of course, being the (relatively) lower income market that we
have, pirated PC software is more widely available ;)

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant