[thechat] Mac question

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Wed Oct 17 03:08:08 CDT 2001

> Resedit is still available for download, and as it's a powerful tool,
> you wouldn't want it in the hands of most users.

We're talking about the ability to change file-associations without
downloading third-party applications or plug-ins.

On Windows, I'm sure it can be done within the registry, *or* via a simple
right-click menu.

> It's been a number of years since I've defragged a Windows
> disk without Norton - Macs don't seem to get as fragmented
> anyway in my experience.

I have not defragged any of my machines in 12-15 months (to be honest, I
can't remember the last time I did it), and I have absolutely no problems.

"Rebuild the desktop" is a pretty common phrase for the Mac users in this
room...

> and Apple bought it to stick into the OS in the days when MS
> didn't even have a taskbar to put a clock on.

Irrelevant. (Notice how the Apple clock you can put in the top-right of the
screen actually stops updating if you hold down the mouse button? ;))

Just tell Apple to bundle a file-association app because, as I suspected,
currently it is not possible to change a files association without a
download. Very friendly. ;)