[thechat] Mac question

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Wed Oct 17 03:20:43 CDT 2001

>Resedit is still available for download, and as it's a powerful tool,
>you wouldn't want it in the hands of most users.

It's still available for download, but it's no longer in development,
and there's no other way (excluding third party resedit clones) to
make sure a file is treated as belonging to a specific app.

>It's been a number of years since I've defragged a Windows
>disk without Norton - Macs don't seem to get as fragmented
>anyway in my experience.

It's all academic when OS X's UFS file system becomes the norm. UFS
and other like Unix filesystems just don't seem to fragment at all
while disk usage is under 80-90%.

>Apple also have a history of encouraging 3rd party developers,
>and then buying the best add-ons to bundle with the OS, like
>the clock app, which was a separate addon called Superclock,
>and Apple bought it to stick into the OS in the days when MS
>didn't even have a taskbar to put a clock on.

Which was my original point - except that Apple have done a great
disservice to their users by not providing at least the basics of
filesystem / OS utilities. Disk first aid / drive setup just doesn't
cut it, IMHO.

--
Andrew Forsberg
---