[thechat] RE: Alien half breeds (WAS: Boring)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Oct 18 02:46:42 CDT 2001

At 11:30 PM 10/17/2001, you wrote:
>It's time to discuss last night's episode of Enterprise.  Was it a repeat of
>the first one or what?  I saw some Klingon's, an Alien form that had
>problems with their warp drive, chief engineer of Enterprise got
>pregnant.... I never saw the first episode.  Was this one new?

That's one thing that really bugs me - the ease with which one species can
make another pregnant. So you have human-Klingons (B'ellana Torres),
human-Betazoids (that godawful Troi), and now the chief engineer (male!)
getting impregnated. I asked a doctor friend about what would theoretically
happen if say, bull semen were used instead of human semen, and he said the
human body would simply reject it, not create a bull-human half breed.

OK, OK, I know it's science "fiction" but still... there should be some
physiological differences between the reproductive systems of humans and
aliens!

My other beef is with the look of aliens. Yeah, I know the budget for ST
episodes isn't that high, but the only difference between species seem to
be markings or extrusions on their face. Now, if you want to see realistic
aliens, you've got to watch Farscape. Absolutely wonderful series! (we're
still waiting for the third season here in India).

On a sort of unrelated topic, does anyone know how much Star Trek cast
members get paid per episode? (incidentally, Kelsey Grammar now makes $1.6
million per episode of "Frasier". I shit you not!)

Oh, and Ron L, I know Amritraj acted in the ST movie. What I meant was that
I'd like to see an Indian as a regular member of the cast, like LaForge or
Scotty or Paris. The only time I remember an Indian on the series was a
"Mr. Singh" in one ST:TNG episode. 30 second part. :))

I've clearly rambled on for too long. They're now showing an episode of
Voyager daily here, so I'm all excited.

Madhu

Madhu "MadMan" Menon
Defender of Justice, Destroyer of Evil, and Keeper of the Knowledge
I blog at: http://madman.weblogs.com

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net