[thechat] supported standards my a**

Sølve Horrigmoe solve at presens.nl.no
Mon Oct 22 03:36:06 CDT 2001

Just need to vent some frustration here!

I'm currently working on integrating some ship and plane simulators with
a Learning Management System (LMS) for a client. When we where asked to
do this project, we checked the simulators - oh yes, they export data in
a variety of standards, then we checked the LMS they had chosen - oh
yes, they too support standards (AICC, SCORM, ILMS).
They have put it on their web site:

<snip type=censored quote>
Besides supporting the AICC standard, <LMS name> offers full support of
the API adaptor specification of the Sharable Content Object Reference
Model (SCORM) put forward by the Advanced Distributed Learning (ADL)
initiative (www.adlnet.org).
</snip>

  So we figured an integration would be possible, perhaps even trivial:
just use one of the common supported standards for exporting/importing
simulation data.

The problem is - I realized after numerous hours of hacking the LMS and
emailing their techsupport help desk - the LMS' "support" for these
standards are not in the form of software conformity or integration
options, but rather that they "support the efforts made to make such
international standards". What the f***?!

Ahhrg!!

-Sølve