[thechat] business cards?

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Tue Oct 23 15:16:06 CDT 2001

>>>  If you're sending it electronically then send a pdf of it too.
>>
>>In fact, take it from someone who's doing a lot of print
>>work right now.  Screw everything _except_ the PDF.
>>Embed the fonts in the PDF file and if it looks good
>>to you, it'll be OK for them.  *Nothing* else is
>>guaranteed to work without (for example) resampling of
>>images, reflowing of text, colour changes, yada yada.
>
>I've done that in the past and I know some people who do that too.
>(why didn't I ask them? because I know I'll get good answers here.)

A pdf will do fine for the type of job you're doing here -- but:

	a pdf is not a pdf is not a pdf

The array of distilling options for larger, multi-page, colour jobs
might make it quite a terrifying experience. And it amazes me how
many 'professionals' still can't create a decent, press-ready, pdf
file.

FWIW: Freehand's collect for output function is excellent. I haven't
used Illustrator extensively since v8, so I dunno if it has an
equivalent.

Oh, and:

>*Nothing* else is guaranteed to work without (for example)
>resampling of images, reflowing of text, colour changes, yada yada.

Come on....

What's that supposed to mean? There's more likely to be colour
shifting with every extra level of compression / re-formatting of the
document. You mean that if I drop a (calibrated) drum-scanned tiff
into a freehand document, save it as an eps, and send it off to a
printer, then it's more likely to shift colour than if I also convert
the whole thing to a pdf? Let's see the proof!

And if your layout program reflows text, or resamples your linked
images, then you should seriously look at changing packages.

:)

--
Andrew Forsberg
---