[thechat] drugs & poison

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Oct 23 17:31:59 CDT 2001

I find it ironic that there is this discussion of "terrorists could
poison drug supplies" when in fact the USA has engaged in what is
essentially chemical warfare against Indigneous people by spraying
them, their children, and their foods with poison.

Children's small growing bodies are highly sensitive to toxic
substances.  The US is poisoning children and destroying their food.

The more I look, the less of a line I see between terrorists and my government.

Northern California and Oregon timberlands (including reservations
where people hunt and fish and gather wild foods) were sprayed
heavily with Agent Orange up through the mid 70's.  (2,4-D + 2,45-T
cocktail).  Due to aggressive grassroots efforts, 2,45-T was
eventually phased out.  But at least one of my nieces was stillborn
at 26 weeks past conception shortly after an herbicide spraying.

Many Yurok children were born with cleft palette, many others
miscarried.  Many animals were diseased and basketweavers who gather
and work with plants died prematurely of cancer.  The bees died and
fruit tries bore no fruit.  The US government denied and denied the
connection between deaths and herbicide until they could deny no
longer.

Now the USA has an ongoing spray policy in non-US nations, Indigenous
people again are the "collateral damage."  Coca is a traditional
medicine... sure it gets grown for cocaine now... but reports say
that at least half of the crops destroyed by the US and Monsanto are
food crops and now there is famine.

This is another war paid for with my tax dollars.

It's a war against Indigenous peoples and it's been going on for 500
years and the USA is there in the thick of it, from East Timor to
Colombia to Afghanistan to my home in northern California.

And yes,I do believe all drugs should be decriminalized, including
the drugs that destroyed my family: booze and meth.  Drug use is a
health problem and a social illness... or a response to social
illness.

Erika